From: MARANATHA STUDENTS AND STAFF
To: OUR FRIENDS AND PARTNERS
We would like to thank our friends and partners for having constructed two much-needed improvements at our Maranatha Kigalama campus from March through May 2009. It has been a true blessing to the students and staff to have a new borehole from which we can access clean water, and a new school block in support of better teaching and better learning. Please accept our utmost gratitude as your generous support has helped us overcome many challenges:
CHALLENGES BEFORE THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW BOREHOLE
1. Meals served late due to lack of water for cooking.
2. Sometimes pupils did not receive meals.
3. Classrooms and latrines were constantly dirty.
4. Nearest water source was very far away.
5. Cost of purchasing and transporting water to the school was very expensive.
OUTCOMES AFTER THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW BOREHOLE
1. Meals are served everyday, on time.
2. Students are exposed to enough water.
3. Classrooms and latrines are kept clean.
4. Pupils in the school, as well as members of the community, benefit from the boreholes.
5. The school no longer has to purchase water.
CHALLENGES BEFORE THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW SCHOOL BLOCK
6. Small classrooms with too many students per class.
7. Children breathing much dirt/dust without cemented floors.
8. Small chalkboards
9. Leaking roofs.
10. Overall, classroom environment not well-suited for learning.
11. No locks on doors – providing no security for learning materials.
12. Lack of good office space for teachers/administrators.
OUTCOMES AFTER THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW SCHOOL BLOCK
6. Larger classrooms with enough space for each student (and room to grow!).
7. Clean classrooms with cemented floors.
8. Larger chalkboards for enhanced teaching.
9. No leaking roofs.
10. Overall, classroom environment promotes quality learning.
11. Good security.
12. Enough space for a good school office.
These improvements could not have been possible without your generous support, and the children of Kigalama are especially grateful for your wonderful contribution.
Just so you can see the contrast, below are photos of the new school block as compared with the old building we were using for classes. Additionally, there are also photos showing the classroom environment in the new school block as compared with the classes currently being held in older structures.
Thank you, again! May God bless you and keep you!
Patrick Walusimbi, Director, Maranatha Integrated Schools Project
Bogere Godfrey, Headmaster, Maranatha Kigalama